“How do you aspire to shape India’s future?”
I was blown away when I saw the question first.. Shaping India’s future? What do they actualy expect the caniddates to do? Open another company that’ll hire thousands of Indians.. In that case, the only candidates that fit the bill must be the ones, who already are from industrialists-type backgraound.. But then, didn’t they mention that “need” is another important factor that they’re counting on for granting the fellowships?

Or do they expect us to take a career in social-reforms or something? Now, don’t get me wrong here.. I know a number of candidates pursue career in non-profit sectors, but then the fellowship details clearly mention that you’re free to choose any career as long as you’re ready to return to India in two years.(I surely am!!)

After several rounds of introspection and discussions, I came to a conclusion that none of my apprehensions hold any meaning..  I don’t think that the schol-committee would entertain lofty ideas of upturning the future of the country single-handedly. Perhaps they’d like more grounded, more realistic plans better. Keeping this in my mind (and hoping that I’m right), I decided to pen down the ideas that are my dreams for years now, something that actually intend to do..

My only fear in following this approach is that the application asks you to select your professional goals from a drop-down list and then says that you’d have a chance to explain your goals in the essay section. This suggests that there should be a strong connection between your professional goals and your essay. In my case, my social impact goals are different from my professional goals. And I intend to pursue the former as a side-activity. That doesn’t mean I’m less passionate about these. I’m sure I’d be able to follow my social impact goals alongside my professional goals. (I’m confident as I’m already folowing a part of it.)

But would the schol-committe buy it?

I desperately need help!! Though not sure how much scope I’ve to use that as the time is already running out. And no! I don’t think that I’m confortable feigning about either my professional aspirations or my dreams for India..

Fellow-bloggers, co-applicants, consultants! Any inputs on this??

Tags: , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Sweating over shaping India’s future!!!”

1. ahembeea says:

I think suitability and chances of your candidature for Stanford should also be a criteria for the schol-committee, along with your dreams and professional goals. Ideally, professional goals should not come in the way.
    Just pen down your thoughts and dreams, pack it in 250 words, and submit the application. If they don’t buy it, its one college lesser for the applications !! 🙂 Good luck.

2. starwalker says:

What they are looking for is, I think, what all the consultants call ‘connecting the dots’. Your MBA should be an integral part of getting to where you want to go, and not just in terms of moey. If you can explain that aspect, I’m sure you’ll be okay

3. starwalker says:

What they are looking for is, I think, what all the consultants call ‘connecting the dots’. Your MBA should be an integral part of getting to where you want to go, and not just in terms of money. If you can explain that aspect, I’m sure you’ll be okay

4. chanakya says:

lets talk off line about this … I feel I may be able to assist you with some ideas that I have been working on anyways.

S

5. agarwalblue says:

Hi I am planning to apply for it this year. Can you please guide me how to approach the essay. All my ideas are (as u said) lofty and unrealistic. I understand that we have to link our career goals and our passion towards shaping the future of indian society. Need your help. Please contact me asap

6. Pri says:

If anyone can plz guide me also towards the eaasay..I have worked for an NGO for almost an yr and now working with one of the topmost KPOs. but again i am too confused how shud i go abt the essay.

7. nagarwal says:

hi
    i am in process of drafting essay for this year .
    is it possible to pass on your essay
    will be great help

thannx

8. Apurv says:

I am in process of writing this essay and is vry confused…can you please guide me on this.

9. AnkitS says:

Hi,

I am in the process of writing an essay for this year and it goes without saying that I am confused as hell. Can anyone here please guide me.

Many Thanks